- This event has passed.
“Sympathetic joy” Intensive
January 28 @ 9:00 am - 5:00 pm
This Intensive will include a talk and guided meditations given by Gelong Lodrö Sangpo on the third of the four kinds of “Immeasurables” (Skt.: apramāṇa):
- loving kindness (maitrī);
- compassion (karuṇā);
- sympathetic joy (muditā);
- equanimity (upekṣā).
These meditations and contemplations are called “immeasurable” since, according to the Abhidharmakośa: “(a) they take an immeasurable number of sentient beings for their object; (b) they engender an immeasurable merit; (c) they produce immeasurable ripened effects”.
The topic of this intensive is sympathetic joy. The intrinsic nature of sympathetic joy is the “satisfaction which one experiences at the satisfaction of others”. The practitioner enters into meditation by reflecting: “Isn’t it a joy that sentient beings acquire happiness and become free from suffering”.
Nāgārjuna defines sympathetic joy as “to wish that sentient beings, after pleasure, obtain joy”.
A well known stanza of the four immeasurables is the following:
- May all sentient beings enjoy happiness and the root of happiness.
- May they be free from suffering and the root of suffering.
- May they not be separated from the great happiness devoid of suffering.
- May they dew ell in the great equanimity free from passion, aggression, and prejudice
This Intensive will include practical step by step meditations on sympathetic joy.
Contact: email@example.com; 902-576-3655
Who can attend this class: All different levels of practitioners. Everyone is welcome.
Cost: $10 (including lunch).